FEB 16: Photo of eaglet being fed

Mary Lou and I visited the nest at about 9:10 this morning and watched for about a half hour. The male (Pride) was on the nest and was actively feeding one or more eaglets. He tore the prey on his right side and then reached down into the nest to feed them. From the ground we really were not sure whether we had seen the eaglet but three of my photos show one eaglet reaching up for food.

In this photo the 11 day old eaglet is not visible-- pay attention to the far end of the long stick which runs diagonally up from right front to up near Pride. The eaglet's head will appear at that point.

Here is Pride feeding the eaglet, which is NOT visible:

This detailed crop shows the eaglet is NOT visible:

Now the eaglet pops into view, its head, eyes, beak and gape visible as it takes the food from Pride (follow the stick up and see the eaglet between the end of the stick and Pride's beak:

Here is the corresponding enlargement which displays the eaglet more clearly:

Re: FEB 16: Photo of eaglet being fed

Maria Rosa Drake
Great pics Ken!!!!

Re: FEB 16: Photo of eaglet being fed

Hello,

Great pictures! Do you all know how many chicks there are in the nest?

Kit

Re: FEB 16: Photo of eaglet being fed

Kit asked: Great pictures! Do you all know how many chicks there are in the nest?

So far I have seen only one, but of course a second or third are possibly present. If anyone sees or photographs more than one, please let us know so that I may update the spreadsheet.