FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

Lots of excitement at the Pembroke Pines Bald Eagle nest this morning. I got there at about 10:15 AM. Both eaglets were active in the nest.

There was a brisk northerly wind. The male (Pride) came in with prey from behind the nest. After feeding the eaglets he roosted on a branch just above the nest. The older eaglet (Honor) is on the right in this photo. She seems to have a more prominent white area on her upper breast.

Suddenly, at about 10:45 AM  the adult and the eaglets were in a state of alarm, calling and looking up.

 An immature Bald Eagle that looked like a second year bird suddenly circled around the nest tree.

Pride took off after it and they disappeared to the south. Pride soon came back and resumed watch at the nest. The same immature appeared again and was driven off more forcefully. Pride took up a watch on the horizontal branch higher up above the nest.

There was excited calling and suddenly at about 11:30 TWO immature eaglets appeared. Pride chased each one in turn but they lingered and circled for about 10 minutes before disappearing in the sky to the north.

Watchers were not sure whether the first immature, which was a 2nd year bird, had returned. Upon examining the feather and molt pattern, it appears to be the same bird.

The other eagle had a mostly white head and darker tail, so it was a 4th year sub-adult.

Re: FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

smithk6303
How interesting!! It is quite heartwarming to think that past nestlings have returned to the neighborhood.  I wonder if it is time to address the issue of too few suitable nest trees in the area?  I'm in the process of trying to establish an engineering based service-learning class under the guidance of Purdue University.  Maybe we could tackle the establishment of man-made nesting platforms for one of our projects?  Just thinking out-loud...

Re: FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

MyEagle13
Hey there  WAO!!!!! two or three juvie OMG!!!!!!! i'm so happy to see those photos you got its not easy its like be there at the right place at the right time and be able to shut your photo i'm so happy to know that ours kids from joy and pride succede in live and grow up cause i'm almost sure that this r they chicks already grown in a few year we will have more than one nest to see you'll see!!!
GREAT PICTURES !!!!
Myeagle13

Re: FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

Interesting! I had been pondering whether young Australian Pines might be pruned to create a suitable nesting platform or crotch as they grow, since most of them simply grow up with one central leader. If this were feasible it would obviate the need to construct artificial platforms.

Re: FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

NancyB
This sounds great, but I don't think the parent eagles will tolerate other nests in such close proximity.  (Are we talking about Australian Pines in other locations, further away from the existing nest?)

Also, the Australian Pines do have a fixed life span.  I know this because many of the Australian Pines along the Tamiami Trail (84) died all at the same time.  Of course, if there were always younger trees maturing they could move to another tree.

Re: FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

Nancy, it is true that eagles usually will defend a radius of 1-2 miles around breeding and foraging areas. They are known to occupy alternative nest sites within their breeding territory. I don't think there are many tracts of suitable habitat in populated Broward County. The idea of artificial sites in places such as some of the parks (Miramar Pineland Park comes to mind, as does Tree Tops) is not so far-fetched. The Ospreys could use some as well. If the Pembroke Pines tree were to fall, the eagles might accept a nearby artificial platform.

Re: FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

NancyB
The idea of putting artificial sites in the large parks is great!  I wonder how far the young eagles will fly looking for an appropriate spot.

Nancy, it is true that eagles usually will defend a radius of 1-2 miles around breeding and foraging areas. They are known to occupy alternative nest sites within their breeding territory. I don't think there are many tracts of suitable habitat in populated Broward County. The idea of artificial sites in places such as some of the parks (Miramar Pineland Park comes to mind, as does Tree Tops) is not so far-fetched. The Ospreys could use some as well. If the Pembroke Pines tree were to fall, the eagles might accept a nearby artificial platform.
Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://rosy-finch.blogspot.com

To start a new topic under CURRENT 2013-2014 NESTING SEASON OBSERVATIONS AND PHOTOS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

tczig
Again, AWESOME photographs!

Re: FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

smithk6303
The ball is rolling on a new grant for the engineering class - $30,000 to $100,000 is being offered, so I say, why not go for the gusto?  That would allow for many opportunities.  You can bet I'll be in contact, Ken, should we get the grant!

Re: FRI MAR 14 - 2 or possibly 3 immature eagles chased away 10:15-11:30 AM

That sounds exciting! South Florida Audubon has some interest in artificial nest platform construction. I tried to get an Osprey platform put up on one of the extinct power poles in the wetlands (West Miramar Water Conservation Area) about 1.5 miles SE of the eagle nest, but SFWMD has plans to turn the area into a reservoir (C-9 Impoundment) and a nesting Osprey (or eagle) would complicate construction, though the project may be years away if ever is completed.