Friday afternoon 2:00-3:00 pm Pride on the nest

Friday afternoon 2:00-3:00 pm Pride on the nest

Mike Fossler
I was there from 2:00pm-3:00pm. At first thought there was an immature eagle flying overhead when I arrived and was getting out of my car. I quickly put my camera gear together and snapped off some photos, but realized it was a hawk - it was large and I figured a common red-tailed hawk for the area. Upon looking at my photos seems it is a Northern Harrier!!! (Ken, please confirm.)
No eagles seemed to be on the nest, but after looking for some time, Pride was laying low in the nest. I sat for an hour and Pride stood up briefly but returned to sitting low. No other eagle(s) came to visit.
Harrier
Pride low in he nestPride looking around

Re: Friday afternoon 2:00-3:00 pm Pride on the nest

NancyB
These are great photos!  Thanks for you patience in watching the Eagle Nest and taking the photos.

I was there from 2:00pm-3:00pm. At first thought there was an immature eagle flying overhead when I arrived and was getting out of my car. I quickly put my camera gear together and snapped off some photos, but realized it was a hawk - it was large and I figured a common red-tailed hawk for the area. Upon looking at my photos seems it is a Northern Harrier!!! (Ken, please confirm.)
No eagles seemed to be on the nest, but after looking for some time, Pride was laying low in the nest. I sat for an hour and Pride stood up briefly but returned to sitting low. No other eagle(s) came to visit.
Harrier
Pride low in he nestPride looking around

To start a new topic under CURRENT 2014-2015 Observations of Pembroke Pines Bald Eagle Nest, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: Friday afternoon 2:00-3:00 pm Pride on the nest

What a beautiful image, Mike! This is a light morph Short-tailed Hawk, quite a special bird.

Re: Friday afternoon 2:00-3:00 pm Pride on the nest

Mike Fossler
Thanks for the hawk ID Ken! I knew it was something I had not normally seen once on my computer screen. Very majestic and fairly large.

Re: Friday afternoon 2:00-3:00 pm Pride on the nest

KellyHeffernan Proj Perch
Like a red vs gray morph in an owl?  Is there a light vs dark morph in
this hawk?  Very cool.

Kelly Heffernan
SFAS's Project Perch
(978) 412-5313

> Thanks for the hawk ID Ken! I knew it was something I had not normally
> seen
> once on my computer screen. Very majestic and fairly large.

Re: Friday afternoon 2:00-3:00 pm Pride on the nest

I have seen both the light and the dark morphs of the Short-tailed Hawk over the eagle nest.

This is the dark morph:

Re: Friday afternoon 2:00-3:00 pm Pride on the nest

KellyHeffernan Proj Perch
Beautiful birds and the morphs are really neat.

Kelly Heffernan
SFAS's Project Perch
(978) 412-5313