Incubation may be underway as of December 11-- please check the nest

Incubation may be underway as of December 11-- please check the nest

Mary Lou and I visited the nest this morning around 9:30 and saw no eagles. We watched the nest carefully for about 15 minutes, but saw no sign of an incubating adult. They can sit down very low, and the near rim of the nest is built up, so it is possible to assume the nest is empty.

Remember that incubation started on (approximately) the 13th, 18th and 15th of December the past three seasons. We know that lately there have been a few new people watching the nest and photographing. If all you eagle watchers, veterans or newcomers would pleas post your observations to this FORUM it would help us to continue maintaining accurate records of the life cycle of these birds.

If you have not noticed, the spreadsheet of observations may be accessed at this link (which is also at the top of the main page above).

As an aside, this morning I did get nice photos of a Red-shouldered Hawk that was roosting in the Melaleuca snags just west of the nest.

Re: Incubation may be underway-- please check the nest

I forgot to mention that Phil was at the nest this morning. He had some beautiful eagle photos on his smart phone which he promised to share with us on this FORUM.

Phil said that he saw an adult sitting very low on the nest two days ago (Sunday, December 11) and he believes the bird may have been incubating. Not sure how long he watched, but let's all be vigilant, and observe any "empty" nest for a more extended period of time. Sometime a second adult will visit the incubating bird and she may call out or rise up.

If incubation has just started, the female alone will incubate, at least until all the eggs are laid and probably for a few days afterward. Then the pair may exchange incubation duties. In the past we have documented exchange of incubation duties as early as 8 and 16 days after the first egg was (presumably) laid.

I will change the headline of my earlier post to reflect possible start of incubation.

Re: Incubation may be underway as of December 11-- please check the nest

fcalz
i saw an adult eagle very low in the nest today 12/14/11 at 3:45 P.M