JAN 23: Adult on nest and good news from Luis

JAN 23: Adult on nest and good news from Luis

After seeing the two adults flying away to the SSE from the direction of the nest earlier this morning, we returned to watch the nest for about a half hour starting at 10:05 AM. We found one adult on the nest. Shape and impression of size suggests it is the female, jewel. At first she was slightly behind the trunk of the tree, then moved to be in front of the trunk. Although she looked down a few times into the nest cup, no feeding activity was observed. Still there when we departed, and we saw no other adult.

In the meantime, at 11:23 AM Phil reported that he heard from Luis who was at the nest. Luis said he saw both adults there and one was feeding!!!!

Note that the beak is partly behind the trunk of the tree. Liz had photo showing an adult incubating or sheltering in this position, in rear portion of nest.

To my eye, these views of the head suggest this is Jewel:

Re: JAN 23: Adult on nest and good news from Luis

Lisa G
That is Jewel . Nice pictures !
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net

Re: JAN 23: Adult on nest and good news from Luis

Liza
Great report ! Thanks Ken !
Liza