Jan 1, 2010 8:30-9:30, 10:00-10:30

Jill W
When I first arrived, there was one adult in the nest (I think the male) and one on top of a dead melaleuca tree to the west.  They changed places peacefully at 9:05.  The one on the nest had some white fluffy feathers on the top of her beak and they were annoying her.  She kept shaking her head, but never rubbed her beak on anything.

I left for coffee at 9:30.  I was going to take a quick look on my way back west to US 27 and keep on going if nothing had changed, but I saw an adult in an Australian Pine fairly close to the road.

I took a few lousy pictures of him and then he flew off to the north.  I've included the picture below because it shows a brown feather.  I was wondering if that is the feather that is the "brown tip" you all are writing about.

He returned to the nest less than a minute later with some nest materials.

I didn't get the entire wing on either of the two pictures above, but I'm happy because this is the first time I have ever managed to get a picture of an eagle (or any other bird, for that matter) in flight.

Right after delivering the nest material, one of the eagles flew away from the nest and I left.

Re: Jan 1, 2010 8:30-9:30, 10:00-10:30

Very interesting, Jill-- You have been lucky to observe three changes of incubation duties between pair members. Yes, that is "Brown-Tip," the male, bringin in nest materials. He has brown on the outermost right tail feather.

Great report, and do not apologize for the photos, as lighting conditions just get worse as the day wears on.

Re: Jan 1, 2010 8:30-9:30, 10:00-10:30

Linda954
I agree Jill, I love everyone and anyones photos, but these photos you took today are awesome.   I enjoy seeing the man working hard to keep that nest comfy.   I'm jealous.   I recently bought a great Canon with zoom because of all the incredible wildlife just outside my patio, but I still need even more zoom to capture the eagles and other various birds.
I did capture this wood stork yesterday.   I have to laugh, his reaction looks like, "are you looking at me?"

Re: Jan 1, 2010 8:30-9:30, 10:00-10:30

Jill W
Thanks, Ken and Linda--
Great pic of the Wood Stork, Linda.  It sure does look like his reaction to you.  So funny!
Jill

Re: Jan 1, 2010 8:30-9:30, 10:00-10:30

I can't resist the temptation to show you a photo that I have only been able to get once in a...

Re: Jan 1, 2010 8:30-9:30, 10:00-10:30

This little gal was peering out of a thicket at Chapel Trail Nature Center, just a mile north of the eagle nest tree, which is actually visible from the boardwalk.

Wow, Ken!  Your picture of the moon is fantastic.  I like your narrative description of it, too.  Very witty!
Jill

Re: Jan 1, 2010 8:30-9:30, 10:00-10:30

Jill W
What a beautiful little bird, Ken.  Great picture.  She's a Northern Cardinal, right?
Jill

Re: Jan 1, 2010 8:30-9:30, 10:00-10:30

Yes, it is a female Northern Cardinal. She would not come out for a full view, so I had to shoot through the branches.

Before Hurricane Wilma, eagles would often roost in old dead trees (cypress, I think), that were located near the SW end of the Chapel Trail Nature Center property, near NW 208th and Johnson, about half way between Sheridan and Pines Blvd. These were NE of the present nest tree (which had not yet been discovered). Every tree went down in the hurricane. Now you can see the light standard (with the monk parakeet nest) and the stand of Australian Pines in the distance, about a mile from the boardwalk.

Re: Jan 1, 2010 8:30-9:30, 10:00-10:30

Wow Jill...those are awesome flight shots! You have set a high standard for yourself......perfect first shots I would say! I stopped by for a short time this morning and must have just missed you. I just watched with binoculars from the car and didn't see any flying and only 1 adult incubating.

I'm glad you saw the male bringing the nest straw. With the cold temperatures, maybe the nest could use all the the insulating material it can get! (Maybe plugging up some of the openings in the sticks where the cold wind is coming through)