March 3, 2013, Midday

hall48
I stopped by the nest site around 11:15 AM on Sunday and observed a single adult eagle perched on one of the dead Meleleuca tree snags to the west of the nest.  I photographed it for a bit until it flew off to the south. I then watched the nest for about 40 minutes and saw the chick pop its head up on several occasions for only a minute or two. It was fairly cold and very windy and the chick seemed to want to stay below the rim of the nest.

Here's a picture of the adult about to take to flight, followed by a couple of shots of the eaglet in the nest.

David

Adult Eagle

Eagle Chick - 3-3-13

Eagle Chick2-3-3-13

Re: March 3, 2013, Midday

Very nice photos! Can't wait to get back to Florida later this week!

Re: March 3, 2013, Midday

Stef
Beautiful! Thanks for posting!  I was out there one day and did get to see the chick but don't have a camera with a long lens so no pix to post.

Re: March 3, 2013, Midday

tczig
Beautiful photos!  Wasn't a second eaglet spotted earlier?  Has anybody seen a second one lately?

Re: March 3, 2013, Midday

Yes, a second eaglet was photographed at about 15 days of age but disappeared after that time.