Meeting with PP Mayor Frank Ortis re eagle sanctuary

Meeting with PP Mayor Frank Ortis re eagle sanctuary

With reps from Broward Audubon and Greater Ft Lauderdale  Flyways Cities Coalition (National Wildlife Federation affiliate), we met this afternoon with Pembroke Pines Mayor Frank Ortis. The Mayor said he just got back from a meeting in Tallahassee, where people from the northern part of the state knew about his famous eagles. He was pleased to learn that it is on City property, thus allowing direct control over whatever may be done.

I outlined my vision as to the long term planning in anticipation of the eagles' annual return, using the model on the new "Protecting the Eagles" Web page. Mayor Ortis was very enthusiastic about the idea of a Pembroke Pines Eagle Sanctuary. He was responsive to our concerns about the priority we felt should be given to protecting the nest from wild fire. The other participants had great ideas about finding additional resources to assist in establishing a more permanent refuge for the eagles.

The Mayor wishes to appoint a steering committee to develop and prioritize the necessary tasks. Audubon will take the lead in advising the structure of such a group, which will also explore and recommend an "Eagle Ordinance" for the City. I was amazed at his enthusiasm, and we left the meeting feeling very optimistic and energized.

Re: Meeting with PP Mayor Frank Ortis re eagle sanctuary

Trisha
Truly great news, Ken, and awesome foresight, dedication and hard work, as always!

Re: Meeting with PP Mayor Frank Ortis re eagle sanctuary

Carolyn
Ken,
Please let me know whatever I can do to help in getting this started.
That's cool that Tallahassee knew of our special family!
The majesty and awe our eagles inspire in us is never ending. I feel so fortunate to be a part of this.
Carolyn

Re: Meeting with PP Mayor Frank Ortis re eagle sanctuary

AquaLou
I was pleased, Ken, to learn of the positive response from Mayor Ortiz at your meeting with him today.  As the “Protecting the Eagles” model begins to take shape, feel free to call on me if I may contribute in any way.

A comprehensive plan for the protection of our eagle nesting habitat can and must be developed and put into action.  If done, it will be largely due to your dedication and 'can do' spirit.  Your vision and devotion to this project is very much appreciated by me, and I am sure by all of the other eagle enthusiasts who have spent so many hours ‘on watch’ at the nesting site.

There may not be a “performance bonus” awaiting you after the months and possibly years of hard work ahead.  However, I know that whatever is accomplished to benefit our eagles and preserve their healthy future will be sufficient satisfaction to both you and Mary Lou.   It’s been a pleasure being at your side as we have all learned so much about our beloved American Bald Eagles.

Thanks so much.

Lou

Re: Meeting with PP Mayor Frank Ortis re eagle sanctuary

Jill W
I'm so glad to hear that things went so well at the meeting!

Thank you, Ken and Mary Lou, for everything you have done to protect our PP eagles.  Hopefully, we will have many more years to enjoy watching these wonderful birds and their new families because of you and the other people who have contributed so much to ensure our eagles' safety.

Jill