Nest watch, Sun, 10 Jan 2010

Jill W
Well, I had to go and make sure everything was okay after yesterday's terrible cold, windy and wet day.

When I arrived at 10:40 AM, I was driving east on Pines Blvd and saw that there was an eagle on top of one of the dead melaleucas to the west of the nest.  I stopped at my usual parking spot and saw an eagle in the nest.  After that, I drove west to get a better look at the one on the dead tree and try to determine which one it was, but it was gone.

I returned to my parking spot and watched the one in the nest for about 30 minutes.  There were no obvious (at least, to me) signs of distress.

A little before 11:30, the other eagle flew in from the SE to a branch of the nest tree above and a little to the east of the nest.  The eagles greeted each other but did not move for about 5 minutes.  The one on the branch then flew a bit to the north (in my direction), grabbed/snapped off a dead branch and carried it to the nest.  It just stood there for a couple of minutes on the edge of the nest like it didn't know what to do next.  The one in the nest stayed hunkered down while the other just stood there.  Finally, the one in the nest stood up, flew to the west, and stopped on top of one of the closest dead melaleucas.  It then preened for about 7 minutes.  This is the second time I've seen an eagle preen for a seemingly long time after being relieved of incubation duty.

When it was done preening, it flew west and landed on top of a concrete (power? phone? both?) pole by the south side the road about as far west as the middle of the high school.  It looked down for a few minutes and then flew north, crossed Pines Blvd and thn flew down so low, I lost sight of it.

Re: Nest watch, Sun, 10 Jan 2010

Carolyn J
Glad to hear that both were seen acting normally after Sat's freakish weather! Thanks for checking, Jill.

Re: Nest watch, Sun, 10 Jan 2010

Interesting report, Jill.

This is the first (to my knowledge) observation of one of the adults sitting atop a utility pole-- presumably one of the tall cement poles that carry the power distribution lines along the south side of Pines Boulevard. Last year, I remember Steve reporting that a juvenile roosted on one down to the east near the fire station. Several of us saw an adult touch the top line as if to roost, but it merely hesitated less than a second and continued flying.

As the dead melaleucas continue to fall down, we can expect more use of the power structures for roosting.

Seen snapping off larger branches, too, and yet another exchange of incubation duties.

From your description, the eggs were not left uncovered very long at all.

Thanks!

Re: Nest watch, Sun, 10 Jan 2010

Jill W
Thanks, Ken.

Yes, it was one of the tall cement poles along the south side of Pines Boulevard.  It made me a little nervous because I didn't know if the eagle could come into contact with some indirect electricity (if there is such a thing).  I've heard those lines along US1 in the Florida Keys make sizzling sounds at times.

I'd say that the eggs were left uncovered for less than 10 seconds.

Jill

Re: Nest watch, Sun, 10 Jan 2010

Thanks so much for checking the nest Jill during such chilly weather. I have some idea how the eagles must feel as our power just came back on. It sounds like they are doing a good job of incubating.

I'm glad you got to see them break off a branch and take it to the nest....very special to see! Landing on top of the power pole sure isn't the best of news....but thanks to you we are now aware! You are being rewarded for spending so much time at the nest by observing some really interesting behavior and sharing the account with us.....so much appreciated!