New Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

New Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

An observer provided this information about a possible eagle nest in the vicinity of Oakes Rd & Rt 441. Excerpts of the message and a Google map with red marker are at bottom of this post.

As Ospreys often nest on the towers we should try to confirm identity  of species with photos if possible.

Can any of our Members get over there and report back?. It could be the second new Broward County eagle nest this breeding season.

From US 441, turn west on Oakes Rd and follow it to turn right  on SW 49th Way to north end:

This is the approximate location of the cell tower:

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

NotToofast
Nice catch!...This couple chose a very distinctive place to set up the nest...looks there is plenty of fish and vermin in the surroundings to feed the off-springs!

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

naturegirl
Does anyone know how this pair is doing ?

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Laura reported that the eaglet was flying high and free on March 30.

UPDATE Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

If this pair returns to nest in the coming breeding season I will set up a link for it in this FORUM,

See  this post which most likely reports a sighting of one of the adults from this nest:

Eagle spotted near 595 and turnpike

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Eagle-spotted-near-595-and-turnpike-tp7576237.html

RE: UPDATE Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Laura Lodge
Hi. Ill have to try to get back up there to check the nest again to see if the Eagles and eaglet are present.
When does the new breeding season start?

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Re: UPDATE Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Hi, Laura--

The official breeding season starts October 1.

I wonder if the nest was removed from the cell tower. Since they
normally add to the old nest each year it could really cause a problem
if left up there.

On 5/29/2021 8:24 AM, Laura Lodge [via Bald Eagles of Broward County,
Florida] wrote:
> Hi. Ill have to try to get back up there to check the nest again to
> see if the Eagles and eaglet are present.
> When does the new breeding season start?
>

> Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Re: UPDATE Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Rockitglider
This is great! I was hoping for new eagles to nest further south of PB, I think with all of the success the other nests are having it will get crowded north of the big lake and more will come south. I hope this happens.

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Daniel wheatley

 My wife snapped this photo In January of this year while fishing on the lake by the oaks Road and 441 eagle tower.
 Then just 4 days ago while fishing I snapped this photo of the same tower with my phone I believe it to be an adult though I could be wrong.

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Laura Lodge
Hi. Thank you much for sharing that photo. It does look like it could be one of the Eagles or Eaglets that I saw there as well.  It is the same location.   I drove by there several weeks ago but saw no activity nor remnant of a nest. I may have to take another drive over there to take another look.

Thank you again for sharing.

Laura

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Daniel wheatley
Hi Laura,
 I just double checked and I can confirm that the nest is still there but the activity is very low we only see them maybe once a week now.

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Daniel wheatley
Yes, they're back...oaks rd. And 441 in davie. We're so excited.

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Laura Lodge
Yay! I looked this past weekend and didn't see them. I brought my binoculars this time and did see the nest.  Where were they when you saw them?  At the tower?  What time of day?
Thanks much

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Daniel wheatley
We saw the 2 adults August the 26th around 8 o'clock in the morning and throughout most of the day. They were back at the nest on top of the cell phone tower But we haven't seen them their sense. Although the nest is still there, My wife and I on 3 different occasions have witnessed workers on top of the tower.  Although they were very careful not to touch the nest We really hope that that wasn't a disturbance to them. Sorry so late with reply.

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

The cell tower workers know that they need to contact Florida FWC if they intend to remove nest materials. Of course they try to do routine maintenance during non-breeding season.

This illustrates that although "official" nesting season starts on October 1, it is not unusual at all for adult  south Florida Bald Eagles to remain in the breeding territory all summer while the immature birds usually migrate north.

This post was updated on .
 this is the last set of babbies to leave the nest.its been a prprivilege to watch them grow,learn to fly,hunt and thrive. thanks to this board for letting us share with everyone.2021.

Laura Lodge
Great photos. Thank you!!!

My wife was on the lake with me and got photos of one of the latest eaglets in flight. she is a much better shot then i am. thanks for letting us share. 2021

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Daniel wheatley
This post was updated on .

just wanted to share a few pics of our experiences while watching these beautiful birds. this adult sat on the east side of the lake while workers were on the tower. we felt bad for this eagle. this was after the last set of eaglets were born and left the nest. all of these pictures are from 2021.
12