ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Trisha
I arrived at the nest at 10:30 am. and found one adult standing on the west side of the nest, facing east. No little heads were visible, but with binoculars I thought I saw movement on the left (east) side of the nest between the nest sticks. I kept watching and saw a tiny little head lift up and look towards the adult at 10:45am. Fortunately, Jerome had just arrived with his powerful camera and we easily saw the eaglet as he took many pictures!

Such a thrill to see that one little one!  I called Ken (in Illinois) and he was equally excited and said that we need to watch for more heads as the hatchings can be 3 days apart.  It would better to have multiple siblings. When you observe the nest, it looks like there are some white feathers and remains of a meal on the right side of the nest...I almost confused that with an eaglet. Ken suggested that taking a video of the nest is the best way to observe the tiny movement that can indicate a new eaglet.  My images are very fuzzy, and it was windy, so the trees kept covering the nest, but in several images there is clear proof of our new Pembroke Pines resident eagle!  Congratulations again to the proud "Grandparents"....Ken and Mary Lou!

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Linda954
Okay, after reading your post, I decided to go back and zoom in on the nest pix I took at noon.   I still don't see a fuzzy head.   I didn't stay but a few minutes though.

Linda

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Trisha
Linda, I was there for 30 minutes and only saw it for maybe 2 minutes total. It actually was up fairly high in 2 images....you could see a little of the body as well as the head.  As I went through the other soft, poor quality images, the adult kept looking down by its side, not towards the spot where we saw the eaglet, so I hope that means there may be a sibling!   I might have doubted my eye had it not been for Jerome's powerful lens and my binoculars.  Also....in your image the adult is exactly where we saw the eaglet....so the adult may have been shading it from the sun or Jr. was sleeping.

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Jill W
Oooo!  Lucky you, Trisha!  I know the feeling, having seen the fuzzy head in Melbourne for the first time.  Who knows if someone saw it before me, but I don't care.

BTW, there are not any watchers in Melbourne like at PP, or at least I have not seen any.

Can't wait to hear if Jr. at the PP nest has any sibs up there.  My hope is that there are three and they all do fine.

Jill

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Yoly
Thank you for the update.  I am so very excited to see it. Are your photos on the internet?

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Linda954
I was on a mission yesterday.   I was wondering where is everyone that no one had posted about the eagles since the 11th and clearly we must have a fuzzy head by now and was hoping to get a shot.    My DH didn't even want to stop for me because there is no where really to park nearby or sit, he thinks I'll get hit by a car, whatever....  It always take me a good 5-10 minutes to figure out where the darn nest is.   I actually got this shot from the south side closest to the nest where he dropped me off and made a u-turn to pick me up on the other side.   So it was a quick stop but I was happy to see the eagle.  I too hope we have siblings.   So sad last year.

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

They are on my Flickr site Yoly (www.flickr.com/photos/trishanorton)  I tried to post them here but just can't get it to work, so Ken is going to try for me but has limited computer access.

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Josee
My boyfriend went around 9:30am this morning and took 2 pictures, one minute apart, and we can CLEARLY see the head of an eaglet!!  This is SO exciting!!!  I wish I knew how to post the pictures on here for all to see!

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Josee,

It is actually easy to post images, provided they are able to load them unto your computer and know how to find their location in the disk. You should crop and edit the photo as desired, and save it with a file name that is easily recognized. (There is another alternative that I use, which is to copy image URLs from photos I have already placed on FLICKR.)

Just click on the "Insert Image" button above your post, and then select "Choose File." This will allow you to search your hard drive and select the desired photo. After you select your image, you need to re-size it as it will probably be too big to display on the computer screen. Pick the "Medium" or "Big" size and allow the image to "float."  Then click on "Insert Image." This places a line of Nabble code in your message. You can then select "Preview Message" to view the image and  be sure it looks the way you want it to. If OK, then simply "Post Message."

Try it-- I'd love to see your photo, as I am stuck here in Illinois!

Ken

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Mike Fossler
Here's Trishes photo from her Flickr page . . .

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Mike Fossler
OK, let's try this again . . .
Trishes photo

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Linda954
Is that two fuzzy heads.   Definetly one, but I'm thinking that may be another on the left.   hope so.

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Linda954
You need to make sure you have signed into the forum for the little attachment clip to appear.    I often open the site and can post, but unless I am "signed in", no attachments are available.

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Thanks Mike!

Do you have a Mac?   My husband thinks that might be why we can't get the pictures on here from Flickr...

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Mike Fossler
PC. But you should be able to load directly from your computer. Open the file with any photo editing software you have then save a copy with a reduced file size/quality = 800mpix as the largest side (most programs which let you save re-sized photos will offer several choices.) Log-on to this site, reply, type your message and there will be an "insert Image" button - press it to add the image after your reply (use the resized image). Click in the box next to "browse" then click "browse" to look on your computer for the image. Choices will come up and I typically use the "Left" position option and the "largest, 700pix X 700pix" photo size.

Good Luck!!!

Re: ONE little, fuzzy, white head! 13 JAN 2013, 10:45 AM

Liza
Omg ! I live relatively close by , I have taken an interest in Bird watching this past year and I'm loving it !
I just went over to N. Fort Myers today to see a couple of Eaglets for the first time not knowing I had basically Eagles in my backyard ! I will definitely be watching out for them as I pass by that area daily and never knew about this ! How exciting !!!! Thanks for the heads up and the wonderful photos !