Saturday Jan. 16 ,2010

Al

Saturday Jan. 16 ,2010

Al
My wife and I stoped at the nest about 10:15.  At 10:22  the male flew in from the west and stood on the rim of the nest for about 10 minutes , then flew west. For Kelly I think the Eagles use us watchers as entertainment.  Each time I stop at the nest , they seem to look-up as if to say hello, and on occasion will fly out to the power lines and watch us . I do not think they change what they do with regard to the watchers or the traffic.

Re: Saturday Jan. 16 ,2010

Kelly Smith
That seems to be the general consensus.  The eagles do not appear to be bothered by the observers, and it is unlikely that the traffic alters their behavior either.  At the beginning of last year's nesting season, no one knew how the eagles would be affected by the increase in activity around the nest.  This is a great opportunity for students learning the complex concepts of the scientific method to put them into actual use.  It is certainly surprising that the eagles have chosen this area for their nest site.  Now the students can be part of learning about these eagles along with the rest of the community.  What better way to instill a respect and love for the natural world? You never know what may be discovered in the depths of the data.  What fun we will have looking for those hidden relationships.  Then we can talk about how valid the data may, or may not be.  So much to discover!

Re: Saturday Jan. 16 ,2010

Al said: "...and on occasion will fly out to the power lines and watch us..."

No one else has reported  any eagles roosting on the actual power lines, though they have rested atop the power poles. Is this what you meant to say, Al?

Did you mean to say that they fly out to the roost trees near to the power lines?