Second Eaglet was photographed on January 13

Second Eaglet was photographed on January 13

Phil Martin sent this note along with the photos. I do not think there is any doubt that they show a second eaglet, alive. It is not unusual for the first-hatched chick to out-compete or even kill its younger nestling. Since the first hatched is statistically more likely to be a female, it is also larger and stronger than any male siblings. You may recall that there appeared to be a dead eaglet photographed in the nest on January 20th

Hi Ken,
I thought I saw 2 babies in the nest.  I was out of town until last Monday.  Since i returned I have only seen one.  Here are a couple pics I took, the last time I saw 2 on 011513.

Phil

These photos are the property of Philip Martin and may not be copied or used without his permission

Copyrighted Phil Martin Photo
©2013 Philip Martin

Copyrighted Phil Martin photo
©2013 Philip Martin

Re: Second Eaglet was photographed on January 13

Trisha
Oh gosh....how sad.... I have always thought on that first day I saw another eaglet...but sadly it may not have been alive or for whatever reason was very weak.   The remaining eaglet is surely a powerhouse....so I guess obligate siblicide is a consideration.....one way nature keeps the gene pool strong I guess.

Wonderful documentation Phil.

Re: Second Eaglet was photographed on January 13

Linda954
When Mike posted Trishas photo on Jan 15, I even commented that I thought could see two fuzzy heads in that photo.      Its all very interesting.

Re: Second Eaglet was photographed on January 13

Mike Fossler
That second photo clearly shows two eaglets. This lends some truth to the speculation in Dave's 1-19-2013 post where there appears to be the body of an eaglet on the far east (left) side of the nest. I was there that day as well and I too have several photos which show those "yellow feet" and gray mass. ;-(