Tues. Morning, 27 Jan 2010

Trisha
I arrived at around 9am on a beautiful, clear, blue sky morning to find the male (confirmed by photo) on the nest. For just over an hour he stood up and down, moved all around the nest looking down, seemed to peck or pull at something with his beak and periodically went down in the nest with only his head in view facing various directions. In other words....more of the same!

Ken and Mary Lou arrived about 20 min. into my stay and we watched the activity (or lack there of) together. No other eagle appeared but Ken spotted a series of flocks of Robins headed north right over us. It was fun to hear their chirping and calls again like where I grew up in Pittsburgh and knew it meant spring was coming! I hope this doesn't mean that winter, and our dry, cool weather is over for us in South Fl. It seemed odd to see Robins perched where the eagles often are in the tall Pine right of the nest, as you see in the photo.

One other activity at the nest was human kind as 3 Florida DOT planners arrived to look around the area. We showed them the nest and described a bit about how we wish the watching and safety could be improved. It is at least hopeful that some work is obviously occurring in that regard. Thanks to David and his co-workers for stopping by and listening to our concerns.

Re: Tues. Morning, 27 Jan 2010

Thanks, Trisha for your report. The male was quite active on the nest, spending quite a bit of time peering down and (we were quite sure) feeding the chick or chicks. By now, a second chick would be hatching.

As Trisha mentioned, it was great to see THOUSANDS of American Robins coursing north, in large flocks that appeared as far as we could see to the west and, often to the east as well.

Honestly, these ARE robins!:

An Anhinga circled high over the nest:

As well as a Wood Stork:

The Monk Parakeets were visiting their bulky nest atop the light standard across the boulevard from the nest:

Closeup of a Monk Parakeet in flight:

Re: Tues. Morning, 27 Jan 2010

Carolyn
I, too, have seen huge flocks of Robins in years long past at my old house in Miramar. They were all over my yard - hundreds of them. I think it was later in the year, tho. I'll check my calendar at home to see.  I know what you mean about the sound of Robins as a kid in PA & in OH.