Wednesday FEB 5 - Lots of action between 9 and 10:30 AM

Wednesday FEB 5 - Lots of action between 9 and 10:30 AM

At first no adults were present and  P Piney 12 was sitting high up in the nest and her little sibling was hunkered down on the other side.

 At about 9:03 the female (Joy) flew in from the east carrying a large long-legged bird.

Within seconds, the male (Pride) flew in from the west.

Pride appeared to want to either share in the meal or to feed the eaglets. I think the latter as he has been an excellent provider. However, Joy spread her wings over the prey and rebuffed him.

Pride retreated to a perch just above the nest...

....but continued to protest loudly. Joy screamed back in a wailing call that I had not heard before.

The eaglets kept low during their parents' confrontation, and Joy turned to resume feeding.

Joy tore at the prey as the eaglets waited.

P Piney 12 appeared to try grasping the prey with his big yellow foot!

The eaglets suddenly seem to be begging to be fed by Pride!

Pride returned to the nest but Joy protected the prey

They all posed for a family portrait but the eaglets seem distracted.

This was a nice mother-daughter moment.

Pride moved back up on the perch, then prepared to fly off. I like the interaction between Joy and her oldest nestling.

Only 20 minutes later, at 9:45 AM, Pride returned with a fish.

The eaglets engaged in a brief confrontation that appeared rather hostile. The older chick suddenly moved towards her sibling, who retreated before the older one seemed to peck at him.

P Piney 13 disappears out of sight, with his sister on top.

Joy seems suddenly aware that something is amiss.

Re: Wednesday FEB 5 - Lots of action between 9 and 10:30 AM

Desiree
Thank you Ken you're the best!!!!!!!!!

Re: Wednesday FEB 5 - Lots of action between 9 and 10:30 AM

Jill W

What fantastic pics, Ken!  Love the captions, too. The one of the eagle carrying the fish is GREAT!

Jill

Re: Wednesday FEB 5 - Lots of action between 9 and 10:30 AM

Mike Fossler
Wow, Ken! You really had a great morning of action and great photos documenting it!

Re: Wednesday FEB 5 - Lots of action between 9 and 10:30 AM

Lisa G
Very Nice pictures Ken  .
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net