Wednesday JAN 22 8:30 AM -- Pride keeps the eaglets well-fed

Wednesday JAN 22 8:30 AM -- Pride keeps the eaglets well-fed

This morning between 8:30 and 9:30 the male was on the nest, sheltering and then feeding what seemed like an enormous amount of food to the eaglets.

Try as I might, I could not catch sight of even the top of an eaglet's head. They again were more to the left side of the nest but seemed not that far back.

The female, Joy, flew in and called but did not bring prey and did not enter the nest. Instead, she roosted in the melaleucas to the west of the nest.
As we have noted before, she sometimes let her left foot hang down in a clenched position.

Re: Wednesday JAN 22 8:30 AM -- Pride keeps the eaglets well-fed

KellyHeffernan Proj Perch

Ken -

The pictures and information are fantastic!  Why do you think Joy lets her left foot hang?  Injury or just a way to relax?

 - Kelly

Kelly Heffernan
SFAS's Project Perch
(978) 412-5313

This morning between 8:30 and 9:30 the male was on the nest, sheltering and then feeding what seemed like an enormous amount of food to the eaglets.

Try as I might, I could not catch sight of even the top of an eaglet's head. They again were more to the left side of the nest but seemed not that far back.

The female, Joy, flew in and called but did not bring prey and did not enter the nest. Instead, she roosted in the melaleucas to the west of the nest.
As we have noted before, she sometimes let her left foot hang down in a clenched position.

To start a new topic under CURRENT 2013-2014 NESTING SEASON OBSERVATIONS AND PHOTOS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: Wednesday JAN 22 8:30 AM -- Pride keeps the eaglets well-fed

We thought the same, but it appears to be fully functional. She did pick it up just after I took this shot and I have another that shows her scratching her head with the same foot.
--

Ken Schneider

Ken and Mary Lou Schneider
Miramar, Florida and North Aurora, Illinois

Web Site: <rosyfinch.com>
Blog:  <http://rosy-finch.blogspot.com/>
Photos: <flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch>
Eagle Nest FORUM: <rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html#FORUM>
Sandia Crest FORUM: <rosyfinch.com/Rosy-FinchFORUM.html>

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)
"I am at peace with everything when I can feel, hear, smell and see the amazing wonders that nature can provide." (Ryan Beaulieu, 1987-2005)
On 1/22/2014 3:37 PM, Kelly Heffernan [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] wrote:

[...]

NAML

To start a new topic under CURRENT 2013-2014 NESTING SEASON OBSERVATIONS AND PHOTOS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: Wednesday JAN 22 8:30 AM -- Pride keeps the eaglets well-fed

lovlycruzr
I stopped by briefly around 10 - 10:20am today - must have been right after you were there.
I saw the one (now I know, the female) perched in the melaleucas.  She then went flying, must have picked up nesting material, and flew over us.   She flew overhead and across the street over us into the neighborhood with the townhouses.  I didn't see her come back.

Re: Wednesday JAN 22 8:30 AM -- Pride keeps the eaglets well-fed

Nice flight shot! Their nest must be getting very nasty with all the prey remains. There were swarms of flies that were obviously annoying the adults when they were sitting on the nest. The eagles will bring in fresh nest lining materials to cover up the mess-- like sweeping the dust under the rug! The vultures seem to be able to smell the rotting flesh as they are circling the nest tree.