Wednesday January 19

Mary Lou and I dropped by around noon today and saw only one adult, sitting quite high on the nest. Rather windy, so we had only fleeting full views of the nest. This was the only shot without intervening pine needles.

I am testing out my new camera-- a Canon 60D with my 720 mm lens system.

Re: Wednesday January 19

EagleObserver
Nice shot Ken.  That angle takes out some of the annoying twigs with shots more east. I'm sure you'll love your new camera, you do a great job with it!

Separately, thanks for all the work you do maintaining such a thorough record of the eagles and making it available to us.  Your latest update is great!  Because of your site, this past year I've become more inspired by the whole bald eagle story in US history.

Regarding the time it takes to confirm eaglet numbers, progress ... I noticed in one of the video clips I took early one morning, sunlight backlit the inside of the nest so well, I could see through "holes" of the nest's rim to at/near the nest base.  As the adult moved i could see the movement in the hole, so was hoping I may be able to detect other movement too.  I don't know if you have experimented with the video in your camera; it's nice how ISO can be cranked-up in near dark conditions and still have good results.  I found that useful if a little early or late for great stills, the video still looked like a champ.

Jim

Re: Wednesday January 19

Georgia
The eagles in Fort Pierce on US 1 had three eaglets the year before last, but last year had only one.  It'll be interesting to see if our eagles also have only one this year.

Re: Wednesday January 19

@ Jim-- I have not yet tried out the video. Today I messed up the settings and most of my photos were under-exposed. I thought I was adjusting the aperture, and instead had reduced the exposure compensation by 5 stops-- most of my photos came out nearly black! (The results of my photo "safari" this morning in the wetlands southeast of the eagle nest tree may be viewed here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch/ )

On Feb 9 of last year, the first record of a third chick was obtained by a video recording, when they were 18 days old. As you surmised, they were visible through spaces in the nest structure. In fact, it was the first time ANY of the eaglets were observed. It was not until the 14th that other observers were able to see the chicks with binoculars.

Ken

RE: Wednesday January 19

Kathy
Hi Ken I can relate I too got the black photos working with my new nikon d7000

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:19:13 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Wednesday January 19

@ Jim-- I have not yet tried out the video. Today I messed up the settings and most of my photos were under-exposed. I thought I was adjusting the aperture, and instead had reduced the exposure compensation by 5 stops-- most of my photos came out nearly black! (The results of my photo "safari" this morning in the wetlands southeast of the eagle nest tree may be viewed here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch/ )

On Feb 9 of last year, the first record of a third chick was obtained by a video recording. As you surmised, they were visible through spaces in the nest structure. In fact, it was the first time ANY of the eaglets were observed. It was not until the 14th that other observers were able to see the chicks with binoculars.

Ken
Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Wednesday-January-19-tp5941309p5946252.html
To start a new topic under CURRENT 2010-2011 SEASON DAILY NEST OBSERVATIONS & PHOTOS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from CURRENT 2010-2011 SEASON DAILY NEST OBSERVATIONS & PHOTOS, click here.
live your life don't watch it go by . . .